Anita can attest to my (somewhat) shocking addiction to all things Buffalo wings, so she wasn’t surprised when I served up this Buffalo Cowboy caviar. What was surprising, though, was just how much we both absolutely loved it. Beans, peas, tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, all good things. But the crunch of the corn and the smoothness of the avocado, along with spicy Buffalo wing sauce pushed this side up a few notches on the ‘love it’ scale.
For a twist, use corn-on-the-cob that has been roasted on a grill or under the broiler until lightly charred. Cut the kernels from the ears (or better, use a corn peeler!) and add to the caviar. You’ll need 3-4 good sized ears to make Buffalo Cowboy caviar.
Also try my Cowboy caviar and my Georgia caviar recipes.
Buffalo Cowboy Caviar
For the salad
- 15 ounces black beans rinsed, drained
- 15 ounces black eyed peas rinsed, drained
- 11 ounces corn drained
- 4 Roma tomatoes seeded, diced
- 2 large avocados diced
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 orange bell pepper diced
- 1 cup green onions diced
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 2 jalapenos seeded, diced
For the marinade
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup Frank’s RedHot Sauce
- ¼ cup lime juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Buffalo wing seasoning I used Wing-A-Lings
- Place all of the salad ingredients into a large bowl.
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients and add to the salad. Toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.