I love smoked potatoes. Smoking them adds such a fantastic (but not overpowering) smokiness. And it’s cooler than just baking them in the oven. And since I also love sweet potatoes, why not just combine two of my favorite things? Smoked sweet potatoes are sweet (duh) and creamy, and oh so fluffy and tender. To counter that sweetness just a little bit I top them with a nice (also smoky) sour cream and chipotle mixture. And I add a little bit of bacon for some more smokiness and a bit of crunch. Forget Russet potatoes, smoked sweet potatoes with chipotle sour cream are better! Serve these next time along your grilled steak and get happy!
Don’t have a smoker? You can use the technique for my perfect baked potato on sweet potatoes instead, using an oven. You won’t get all that smokiness of course, but the chipotle sour cream and bacon will help make up for that. They’ll be sorta smoked sweet potatoes with chipotle sour cream. Still creamy delicious and super tasty!
Potato nails help ensure that your sweet potatoes (or regular ole baked potatoes, too!) get cooked nice and evenly. And they look cool. Just remember to remove the nails before serving!
Smoked Sweet Potatoes with Chipotle Sour Cream
- Fire up your smoker for cooking at 225 F.
- Brush the potatoes with the oil and place on the smoker.
- Smoke for 2-3 hours or until soft but not mushy.
- Remove from the smoker and let cool slightly before slicing open. Chop the insides lightly.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the crumbled bacon.
- Combine the sour cream and chipotles with some of the adobo sauce and spoon over the potatoes.
- Garnish with the onions and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.