Yes, 40 cloves of garlic went into making this 40 garlic clove chicken. Yes, the house smelled like garlic. A lot. But, it was worth it. I was worried that the chicken would be so garlicky it would be inedible, but I was sooooo wrong. It came out perfectly flavored and very, very tender.
Eating this chicken reminded me of the garlic fries at the now-closed Boogie Burger. It brings the garlic, but in such a good way. Don’t be afraid and try and cut back on the amount of garlic. Next time I might even use 41 cloves!
And if you have any leftovers, this chicken makes for a great sandwich!
Also try my roasted garlic chicken with parmesan gravy.
40 Garlic Clove Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat.
- Add half of the chicken thighs and lightly brown on each side. Remove to a plate.
- Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add the green onions and a little thyme and saute for a few minutes.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Spread 20 of the garlic cloves around the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in the wine.
- Add chicken and any accumulated juices. Try to not stack them or over-crowd them so they cook evenly.
- Top with remaining garlic. Season with salt and pepper and the remaining thyme, to taste.
- Cover the pot and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, cook the recipe per package instructions and keep warm.
- Serve chicken over rice with some of the pan sauce.
Nutritional values are approximate.