Yes, 40 cloves of garlic went into making this 40 garlic clove chicken. Yes, the house smelled like garlic. A lot. But, it was worth it. I was worried that the chicken would be so garlicky it would be inedible, but I was sooooo wrong. It came out perfectly flavored and very, very tender.
Eating this chicken reminded me of the garlic fries at Boogie Burger. It brings the garlic, but in such a good way. Don’t be afraid and try and cut back on the amount of garlic. Next time I might even use 41 cloves!
And if you have any leftovers, this chicken makes for a great sandwich!
40 Garlic Clove Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat.
- Add half of the chicken thighs and lightly brown on each side. Remove to a plate.
- Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add the green onions and a little thyme and saute for a few minutes.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Spread 20 of the garlic cloves around the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in the wine.
- Add chicken and any accumulated juices. Try to not stack them or over-crowd them so they cook evenly.
- Top with remaining garlic. Season with salt and pepper and the remaining thyme, to taste.
- Cover the pot and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, cook the recipe per package instructions and keep warm.
- Serve chicken over rice with some of the pan sauce.
Nutritional values are approximate.