Well, you know I like a little heat with everything. It doesn’t have to be overpowering, just some heat. A little spiciness. I don’t do bland. These grilled cheesy hot dogs with spicy onions take no time at all and have just a little kick from the onions. Kick in onions? Well, they got some help from some smoky chipotles with a little of the kicked-up adobo sauce they come in. Chipotles are a great way to add heat to any dish without going too far with it.
On occasion, our local grocery store has foot long hot dogs and buns. For some reason, I really love foot long dogs. There’s just something more fun about eating them (with the added bonus of being messy). It reminds me of when I was a kid, the food stand at the local baseball park served foot long chili dogs. The best thing ever on a hot summer day was a big ole dog and an ice cold Coke. These grilled cheesy hot dogs with spicy onions are perfect for those same hot summer days.
Slicing your hot dogs before cooking helps ensure that the toppings don’t slide off. And that’s a good thing!
Also try my grilled Cincinnati hot dog.
Grilled Cheesy Hot Dogs with Spicy Onions
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sweet onions cut into 1/4″ slices
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile in adobo sauce finely chopped, plus 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 hot dogs or 2 foot long hot dogs
- 2 tablespoons BBQ rub spicy, preferred
- 4 hot dog buns 2 foot long hot dog buns
- 4 slices American cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions and cook until they are soft and golden, 15-20 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the brown sugar, chipotle chili, adobo sauce, and salt. Cook 2 more minutes and remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the hot dogs with the grill seasoning.
- Cook dogs and toast buns as desired.
- Place a piece of cheese inside each bun and top with a hot dog, followed by some of the onions.
Nutritional values are approximate.