There’s no reason to make so-so pulled pork in your slow cooker. Give it some kick. Like my slow cooker fire-eater pulled pork. It’s got some kick. Fire-eater rub and hot sauce will wake up your taste buds, that’s for sure. Tender, moist pork makes for the perfect sandwich on a cold day.
I also ended up using this slow cooker fire-eater pulled pork in homemade hot pockets and on nachos. It’s great stuff, and can be used as just about any dish. Also try it on baked potatoes! Yummy!
I prefer Cholula original hot sauce in dishes like this fire-eater pulled pork. It’s spicy, but it’s not so overwhelmingly hot that you can’t still taste the dish.
Also try my slow cooker BBQ beef.
Slow Cooker Fire-Eater Pulled Pork
There’s no reason to make so-so pulled pork in your slow cooker. Give it some kick. Like my slow cooker fire-eater pulled pork.
- 3 pound boneless pork shoulder trimmed
- 1/4 cup Fire-Eater rub or substitute your favorite spicy rub, divided
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup hot sauce or more
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of rub around all sides of the pork.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add pork and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- Turn off the heat to the skillet and let cool slightly.
- Slowly (keep your arms, hands and face back as it may splatter!) add 3/4 cup of water to the skillet and whisk.
- Pour mixture into a slow cooker on low.
- Add the vinegar, tomato paste, remaining 3 tablespoons of the Fire-Eater rub, and 2 cups of water to the slow cooker and whisk to combine.
- Add the meat and cover.
- Cook for at least 8 hours or until the meat is falling apart. If the liquid does not completely cover the pork you may want to turn it every few hours.
- Remove the pork to a cutting board and chop.
- Transfer the slow cooker liquid to a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Stir in the hot sauce. Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer until reduced by half, stirring occasionally.
- Return the meat to the slow cooker and add the reduced liquid.
- Serve on buns, on nachos, on baked potatoes… however you prefer!
Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 102mg | Sodium: 338mg | Potassium: 726mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 104IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 2mg
Nutritional values are approximate.