Sometimes you want to change things up from the usual smoke – ribs, pulled pork and the like. I was feeling that way the other day when I fired up my Weber Smokey Mountain Charcoal Smoker. So, I ran down to the grocery store and picked up a 5 pound roll of bologna. The woman behind the counter wanted to know how I wanted it sliced. She looked at me rather puzzled when I told her I wanted the whole thing as-is. I told her I was making smoked bologna and that it was going to be a happy day.
Sliced thin, smoked bologna is the best bologna you’ll ever have. It has a light smoky flavor and makes for absolutely excellent sandwiches. I used Cashman’s BBQ sauce on the bologna and really liked it. Our neighbor’s daughter brought it to us from Defiance, OH. I wish we had it here in Indy! (I think they no longer exist, so substitute your favorite sauce!)
- 3-5 pound bologna roll
- 1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons favorite BBQ rub I used Dizzy Dust
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce I used Cashman's
- Heat your smoker to 225 F.
- Score the bologna with a sharp knife every inch or so in a diagonal, making a diamond pattern. Score the ends also.
- Slather the bologna with the mustard and sprinkle with the rub.
- Place on smoker and smoke for 3 1/2 hours.
- Slather with the BBQ sauce and continue smoking another 30 minutes.
- Slice thin and serve on sandwiches.