This Montreal Steak-seasoned smoked bologna was destined for greatness, and that greatness was in the form of a fried bologna sandwich. The bologna takes on such a great flavor from the seasoning and smoke. You’d never think it was ‘just’ bologna because it isn’t. It’s something special, something amazing.
I slice my Montreal Steak-seasoned smoked bologna thin, for sandwiches. Because I usually end up with a lot of slices (more than I could ever use in a few days), I freeze it for later use. To maximum quality, I put the slices into vacuum-sealer bags and seal them. But, to make sure the slices don’t stick together I put burger patty paper between each slice.
Also try my red chile smoked bologna.
Of course you can use whatever seasoning you prefer when smoking bologna. I just happened to be craving Montreal Steak for some reason. Probably because I ran across a jar of it in my spice rack and thought…. hmmmm… what can I use this on?
Montreal Steak-Seasoned Smoked Bologna
- Fire up your smoker for 250 F. Use any wood you like, but I've found that fruit woods or hickory work best for me.
- Start by scoring the chub. I've tried getting fancy diamond patterns, and sometimes they're great and sometimes they're not. Checkerboard works best for me! Either way, you want to make about 1/2" cuts so that the smoke and seasoning penetrate the bologna.
- Spread the mustard liberally over the bologna. The mustard will help the seasoning adhere to the meat.
- Now add the seasoning. Don't be shy. Get it on all sides, everywhere.
- Transfer to the smoker and smoke for 3 hours.
- Remove from the smoker and let rest before slicing. I've found that a super-sharp knife is great for slicing the bologna thin for sandwiches. You can use a meat slicer also. If you're having trouble getting good slices, freeze the chub for 15 or so minutes then try slicing it.
Nutritional values are approximate.