Nothing beats a tasty meatball sandwich. You can throw these easy grilled spicy meatball sandwiches together in just minutes. Although you could make this indoors, grilling the meatballs adds a nice charred flavor. Substitute mozzarella cheese and leave out the hot sauce for a less spicy version.
I used our homemade pizza and pasta sauce on these sandwiches. I had a batch on hand after making some awesome pizzas the day before. And although homemade meatballs would be preferred, I needed a quick dish, so I used Johnsonville’s Italian-Style meatballs.
Easy Grilled Meatball Sandwiches
- 2 wooden skewers soaked for 30 minutes
- 10 Johnsonville Italian Style Meatballs thawed
- 2 sub sandwich rolls or 1 baguette halved
- 1/2 cup pizza or pasta sauce warmed
- Hot sauce to taste
- Pepperjack cheese shredded
- 1 green onion sliced, for garnish (substitute pickled jalapenos for more kick!)
- Fire up your grill for direct cooking.
- Carefully poke the meatballs onto the skewers and place on the grill.
- Grill 2-3 minutes per side until lightly charred. Remove.
- Toast buns as desired.
- Warm the sauce, adding a bit of hot sauce, to taste. Stir.
- To serve, place meatballs on buns. I kept the meatballs on the skewers.
- Top with sauce and cheese.
- Return sandwiches to grill to melt the cheese (or put them under the broiler for 1 minute).
- Serve garnished with green onion.
- Eat by gently squeezing the buns together while pulling out the skewers.