This is my go-to, super easy, cheese sauce. I use it mostly on vegetables, and often on baked potatoes. It’s also great on hot dogs and hamburgers. You need a cheesy sauce, this is the one. It has just the right consistency. You don’t want it too runny. You don’t want it to be all gloppy. This is right down the middle, perfect.
Substitute a Monterey Jack cheese for a nice white sauce, or pepperjack for something a little kicked up. You can also add things like chopped roasted chiles or jalapenos to give it even more heat.
- Heat 3/4 cup of the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until it starts to steam, stirring often.
- In a coffee cup or glass, mix together 1/4 cup of milk and all of the flour until the flour is completely dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
- While stirring, slowly pour the milk and flour mixture into the heated milk. Keep stirring until the mixture comes to a boil and is nice and thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted.
- Add salt and cayenne pepper, to taste.
Nutritional values are approximate.