I love olive salad. I could probably eat muffuletta sandwiches any day, every day. It takes a bit of work, but I prefer my homemade olive salad. But, if time is of the essence, I take no shame in using a great, quality store-bought olive salad like the one from Boscoli. Putting olive salad on a grilled cheese sandwich seemed like not only a good idea, but a great idea. Muffuletta grilled cheese sandwich? Yes!
So, the question is… do you flatten your grilled cheese? Many say it’s not a grilled cheese unless you press down on it and make it super thin. I like mine thick. Sorry 🙂
Muffuletta Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter softened, halved
- 2 slices Texas toast
- Provolone cheese
- olive salad store bought, or make your own
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the butter and swirl around to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Spread remaining butter on one side of each slide of bread.
- Top one slice of bread with a slice of cheese then add a few tablespoons of olive salad.
- Add another slice of cheese and the remaining slice of bread.
- Transfer to the pan and cook on one side until golden brown.
- Flip carefully and cook until other side is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Let rest a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.