I usually make sandwiches for lunch every day. It’s that or something off the grill or leftovers from the night before. These pepperoni pizza grilled cheese sandwiches are a big favorite around here. They don’t take long to make, taste like a pizza, and have nice fresh veggies on top.Oh, and ooey gooey cheese. Don’t forget that.
I bought a Cuisinart Griddler many years ago. I use it for making grilled cheese sandwiches, paninis, hashbrowns, bacon, chicken breasts… anything. Cleanup is easy, and it’s highly portable. It’s great for those trips to the beach or for a cabin rental. You never quite know what cooking equipment you’ll have there when you arrive. You can make breakfast, lunch and dinner on the Griddler.
The Griddler is a champ at making grilled cheese sandwiches, like my spicy grilled cheese, muffuletta grilled cheese, grilled caramel apply cheese, and grilled spinach and artichoke cheese.
Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper sliced thin
- 1/2 sweet onion sliced thin
- 4 crimini mushrooms stems removed, sliced thin
- pinch Italian seasoning
- 1/2 loaf French bread or 4 slices Focaccia bread
- 2 tablespoons butter softened, divided
- pinch garlic salt
- 4 slices sandwich pepperoni or 8 slices pizza pepperoni
- 4 Mozzarella cheese sliced thin
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the pepper, onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and the seasoning. Stir and cook until the veggies are softened. Remove from heat. Wipe skillet clean.
- Brush the outsides of the bread with half of the butter and sprinkle with the garlic salt.
- Assemble sandwiches by dividing the mushrooms, veggies and cheese between them.
- Melt remaining butter in the skillet and grill the sandwiches until the cheese melts and the bread is golden brown.
Nutritional values are approximate.