I usually make sandwiches for lunch every day. It’s that or something off the grill or leftovers from the night before. These pepperoni pizza grilled cheese sandwiches are a big favorite around here. They don’t take long to make, taste like a pizza, and have nice fresh veggies on top. Oh, and ooey gooey cheese. Don’t forget that. You can add as much cheese as you want.
I bought a Cuisinart Griddler many years ago. I use it for making grilled cheese sandwiches, paninis, hashbrowns, bacon, chicken breasts… anything. Like these Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese sandwiches. Cleanup is easy, and it’s highly portable. It’s great for those trips to the beach or for a cabin rental. You never quite know what cooking equipment you’ll have there when you arrive. You can make breakfast, lunch and dinner on the Griddler from Cuisinart.
Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper sliced thin
- ½ sweet onion sliced thin
- 4 crimini mushrooms stems removed, sliced thin
- pinch Italian seasoning
- ½ loaf French bread or 4 slices Focaccia bread
- 2 tablespoons butter softened, divided
- pinch garlic salt
- 4 slices sandwich pepperoni or 8 slices pizza pepperoni
- 4 Mozzarella cheese sliced thin
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the pepper, onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and the seasoning. Stir and cook until the veggies are softened. Remove from heat. Wipe skillet clean.
- Brush the outsides of the bread with half of the butter and sprinkle with the garlic salt.
- Assemble sandwiches by dividing the mushrooms, veggies and cheese between them.
- Melt remaining butter in the skillet and grill the sandwiches until the cheese melts and the bread is golden brown.
Nutritional values are approximate.