We absolutely loved this recipe for spicy roasted olives. It combines a little heat, some herbs, and great roasted flavor. These are fantastic. They are salty, briney, hot, and herby. They disappear in seconds! With it just being us I kept the jalapeno slices in the bowl with the olives. For a party I might take them out. Or maybe not. They do let people know that they are in for some heat. I wouldn’t want grandma to accidentally grab an olive expecting the ‘usual’.
You can substitute dried rosemary, but make sure you grind it up well in a mortal and pestle or blender so that there aren’t any large pieces when you serve the olives.
Smoked olives are also out-of-this-world great. Try them and grilled bacon-wrapped olives too!
Spicy Roasted Olives
- 1 1/2 cups green olives pitted
- 1 1/2 cups black olives
- 4 sprigs rosemary or 4 teaspoons well-crushed dried rosemary
- 1 jalapeno pepper sliced into rings (ribs and seeds included)
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 tangerines regular oranges work just fine also
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Place olives, rosemary, jalapeno and garlic into a large bowl. Stir.
- Squeeze juice from the tangerines into the bowl. Add the tangerines halves in also.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and vinegar and stir well.
- Pour into an 8″ x 8″ baking dish. Cover and bake for 1 hour.
- Serve warm. If serving as leftovers (as if there will be any), let them come to room temperature first.
Nutritional values are approximate.