Grilled hot dogs with hot Creole blender sauce is the bomb. It’s mustardy and a bit hot (as you kinda figured). And there’s bacon. The bacon and sauce really compliment each other perfectly. The sauce would also make for a fantastic dipping sauce for corn dogs now that I think about it. Actually the sauce would be great anywhere you normally use mustard. Just use this sauce instead.
I used Zatarain’s Creole Mustard to make the sauce for these grilled hot dogs with hot Creole blender sauce. It is my favorite mustard by far. I love it so much I have a subscription for it on Amazon. I can’t even think of what would happen if I ran out of it. So, I have to keep it on hand at all times! You can substitute a good grainy mustard too.
You’ll need peppadew peppers to make the sauce. If you can’t find peppadews, you can substitute roasted red peppers, with a bit of hot sauce added for kick. In a big pinch you can substitute some well-drained pimentos.
Slicing your hot dogs before cooking helps ensure that the toppings don’t slide off. And that’s a good thing!
Also try my grilled taco dogs.
Grilled Hot Dogs with Hot Creole Blender Sauce
For the hot dogs
- 4 hot dogs
- 8 slices bacon cooked and broken into large chunks
- 4 hot dog buns
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and peppers and saute until the onion is soft.
- Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool.
- Place onion mixture into a blender. Add mustard and mayonnaise and pulse until combined. If too thick, add a bit of the liquid from the peppadew jar. You want the sauce to be thick, but still easy to spread.
- Grill the hot dogs and toast the buns as desired.
- Place dogs on buns and top with blender sauce and bacon chunks.
Nutritional values are approximate.