At first I thought maybe I just loved these spicy grilled mushrooms so much because I hadn’t grilled mushrooms in a while. Or maybe it was because of the full moon. But no, it was because these are now officially my favorite mushrooms. They have a perfect light Asian flavor, with a little vinegar tang and, as with everything I make, a little spicy kick. My goodness they were just delicious.
I used cremini mushrooms, also known as baby Portobellos. You can use any mushrooms you like, even mix a few different kinds in. Just remember that the smaller ones will cook faster. You might have to move the smaller mushrooms away from the hottest part of your grill before the bigger ones get done.
If you prefer your mushrooms to have a more mellow flavor, try my dilly dilly mushrooms and my easy roasted mushrooms. Oh, and my grilled marinated mushrooms are divine, too!
Spicy Grilled Mushrooms
- 2 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- hot sauce to taste
- 2 pounds small mushrooms stems removed if desired
- Whisk together the soy sauce, red wine vinegar, pepper and hot sauce in a large bowl.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Let marinade for 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Fire up your grill.
- Shake off any excess marinade from the mushrooms and grill for 10 minutes until starting to soften.
Nutritional values are approximate.