Simple and delicious. Like a grilled dog should be. Serve these hot dogs with spicy sauce and grilled onions at your next backyard get-together and people will wonder why they’ve just been squeezing mustard onto their dogs for all these years.
I used one of my favorite hot sauces, Louisiana Hot Sauce, to kick these dogs up a bit. Louisiana hot sauce has some heat and spice, but it isn’t overpowering at all. And it’s not overly vinegary like some hot sauces. For the BBQ sauce I used Weber’s no-high fructose corn syrup Sweet’N Spicy sauce, which packs a nice punch too.
Also try my Islander hot dogs.
Hot Dogs with Spicy Sauce and Grilled Onions
- 2 medium sweet onions sliced
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
For the sauce
- 1 cup your favorite BBQ spicy! sauce
- 1/3 cup your favorite hot sauce I used Louisiana Hot Sauce... yummy!
- 1-3 tablespoons fresh jalapeno minced
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- To make the sauce, combine all ingredients except the beer in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add just enough beer to slightly thin the sauce.
- Let sauce simmer while you cook the dogs, stirring occasionally. Add more beer if the sauce is too thick.
- Grill the onions until just soft.
- Grill the hot dogs and toast the buns.
- Serve dogs on buns slathered with the sauce and topped with the onions.