I found the original recipe for this great breakfast-for-dinner idea over at Amy’s Cooking Adventures. Putting an egg on top of batter in a waffle iron sounded like a pretty nifty approach to me, so I dove right in and made some waffle iron eggs and biscuits.
I have to warn you, you’re going to make a mess making these. There’s really no way around it. No matter how gently you close the iron lid, somewhere along the line you’re going to pop a yoke and it’s going to run out. That’s ok, though. It’s worth the mess.
Guess what? You can also make chocolate chip ‘cookies’ using your waffle iron!
Waffle Iron Eggs and Biscuits
Putting an egg on top of batter in a waffle iron sounded like a pretty nifty approach to me, so I dove right in and made some waffle iron eggs and biscuits.
- 2 1/2 cups Bisquick plus a little more for dusting
- 2/3 cup low fat milk
- 4 slices bacon cooked, drained, crumbled
- 1 cup cheese shredded (Swiss, cheddar, whichever you prefer)
- 6 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into pats
- 1/2 pound breakfast sausage cooked drained, crumbled
- maple syrup
- Preheat you waffle iron as directed by the manufacturer and spray with non-stick spray as needed
- Combine biscuit mix and milk until a dough forms.
- Lightly dust a cutting board with more baking mix. Roll the dough out using a rolling pin until it is about 1/4″ thick. Cut into shapes slightly smaller than your waffle iron. (Our waffle iron is round. I found a saucer that was just smaller than the iron and used that as my template for cutting the dough).
- Working in batches, place the dough pieces onto your waffle iron. Sprinkle with some bacon and cheese and top with a single egg each. (If you sprinkle the cheese in a circular pattern, creating a sort of ‘well’, the egg will not slide off as easily).
- Very, very gently lower the top of the waffle iron and cook until done.
- Serve topped with butter, sprinkled with the breakfast sausage crumbles, and drizzled with pure maple syrup.
Calories: 923kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 64g | Saturated Fat: 27g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 398mg | Sodium: 1764mg | Potassium: 500mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1169IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 439mg | Iron: 4mg
Nutritional values are approximate.