Fresh corn season continues to wind down here in Indiana. Time for my end-of-summer push to devour as much sweet corn as I can! And what better way to make corn than to add in some spicy Tasso ham and make a spicy Tasso and corn casserole! I so love Tasso ham. So tender, to tasty, and definitely so spicy. I made my own Tasso on my smoker, and it came out fantastic. It was so easy to make!
This creamy corn casserole is sweet and also spicy. I found the original recipe in Louisiana Cookin’, one of my favorite Louisiana-themed magazines. Not only is each issue full of great Creole and Cajun dishes, there are also articles about the food and happenings in the area.
The original recipe for spicy tasso and corn casserole called for topping the casserole with crushed potato chips. I decided to skip that and just enjoy the great vegetables and spice in this dish. True, adding chips would definitely add a nice crunch. I bet crushed tortilla chips would be outstanding, so feel free to add them if you like! Either way it bakes up delicious!
Spicy Tasso and Corn Casserole
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 cups corn kernels fresh, from 5 to 6 ears
- ½ cup red bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup green onion chopped
- 1 cup tasso ham chopped. I used our homemade tasso
- 1 8 ounce cream cheese cubed, softened
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning I used our homemade seasoning
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Spray a 9″ x 9″ baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the corn, pepper, green onion, and tasso and cook 5-8 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the cream cheese and stir until it melts.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Cajun seasoning, sour cream, parsley, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Spoon into the baking dish and bake 20 minutes.
- Note: The original recipe called for sprinkling the casserole with crumbled potato chips (2 cups) before baking. I omitted that ingredient to keep the casserole a little lower in carbohydrates. Feel free to add the chips, or Panko breadcrumbs if you like.
Nutritional values are approximate.